ORGANISATION/COMPANYBalearic Islands Coastal Observing and Forecasting System (SOCIB)
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Civil engineeringEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Geological engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE18/02/2021 22:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Palma
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The Balearic Islands Coastal Observing and Forecasting System (SOCIB) is looking for a full-time Coastal Engineer, Computer Engineer, or related degrees with an interest in Marine Science. The applicant duties are embraced within the framework of the PIMA ADAPTA COSTAS Project at the Beach Monitoring Facility (BMF) at SOCIB. The applicant should work coordinately with the BMF leader and BMF Scientific Responsible as well as with other SOCIB facilities and services.
Note that candidates interested in this offer can send their CV and academic certificates (stating subjects taken and marks) to: email@example.com with the following email subject: “BMF ADAPTA”.
The main tasks of the candidate will consist of:
• The development of an open-source user-friendly GUI tool for authorities and local stakeholders.
• The tool will combine existing open-source numerical models to compute from a given input of wave conditions and sea-level scenario the resulting run-up and inundation.
• The tool will provide users with maps and reports related to inundation, risk, and vulnerability maps in a GIS environment.
• Attend the internal meetings related to the project with local authorities.
• Develop the corresponding deliverables scheduled within the project.
• Support in additional tasks related to the BMF regular operative
• BSc + MEng in Coastal Engineering or related discipline, with a background in Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Physics Engineering, or related degree.
• Advanced programming skills in MatLab, Python, and basic in shell language.
• Acquainted with geospatial data and GIS databases handling.
• Good communication skills (in English).
• Team player and collaborative.
• Self-directed learning skills
• Immediate availability.
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience:
• Knowledge of nearshore hydrodynamics and sediment transport processes as well as acquainted with the use of morphodynamical models (e.g., research process-based models, SWAN, Delft3D, etc).
• Experience in open-source GUI code development.
• Basis on numerical methods.
• Advanced knowledge of shell language and FORTRAN, C++...
EURAXESS offer ID: 595434
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.