ORGANISATION/COMPANYNational University of Ireland, Galway
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE14/05/2021 11:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIreland › Galway
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39
REFERENCE NUMBERNUIG RES 080-21
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time, fixed term contract as Scientific Research Associate (EU) at the SFI Centre for Research in Medical Devices (CÚRAM), National University of Ireland, Galway. The position is available from 1st July 2021 to 30th June 2023, subject to initial one year probationary period. This position is funded by Science Foundation Ireland. Two positions are available.
Organisation: The Centre for Research in Medical Devices (CÚRAM) is a national, SFI funded, research centre that brings together researchers from NUI Galway, University College Dublin, Dublin City University, University of Limerick, University College Cork, Trinity College Dublin and Royal College of Surgeons Ireland. The prime objective for CÚRAM is to radically improve health outcomes for patients by developing innovative implantable ‘smart’ medical devices to treat major unmet medical needs. Implants will be designed and manufactured to respond to the body’s environment and to deliver therapeutic agents, such as drugs, exactly where needed. Cutting-edge science will develop devices using the very latest research from biomaterials, stem cells and drug delivery and the support of strong clinical collaborations, industry partners and hospital groups to enable rapid translation to the clinic.
Job Description: The role of Scientific Research Associate (EU) will be to deliver on CÚRAM’s strategy to secure significant EU grant funding in Horizon Europe. The position will involve the provision of support to CÚRAM Principal Investigators (PIs), support team and industry partners in identification of and application for research funding for further advancement of the strategic research activities of the Centre including the writing of grants for submission.
The post-holder will have responsibility for informing the Centre’s PIs and partner companies of relevant funding programmes applicable to the remit of CÚRAM and pertinent to their research area. This position will support the Centre PIs and partner companies in reaching the Centre’s targets relating to acquisition of further funding. This will include the development of metrics for a number of applications to the identified programmes based on the programmes success criteria. International partners for CÚRAM coordinating large EU research consortia will be sought and funding application preparation and assistance to the PIs will be supported by this role. The EU Research Officer will also assist the CÚRAM Operations Team in reporting requirements for CÚRAM.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implementation of CÚRAM’S strategy for Horizon Europe – identify the actions required to deliver each target and develop tools to monitor and evaluate the Centre’s performance.
- Develop, write and submit Enterprise Ireland EU coordination support grants
- Provide scientific input into research programmes on-going at CÚRAM.
- Assist in the dissemination of research outputs/activities, including identification of the appropriate pathway for dissemination and providing support for preparation of manuscripts and presentations.
- Co-ordinate, write and submit Horizon Europe grant proposals.
- Develop an effective communication strategy in CÚRAM to ensure that all opportunities are highlighted.
- Management of resources required for delivering on the above tasks – working with the CÚRAM Operations team, Potential Industry and Academic Partners, Research Office and National Contact Points for each Horizon Europe work programme.
- Create appropriate templates to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of proposal preparation.
- Assist researchers and partner organisations with the preparation of Preparation Forms, contract negotiations and post award project implementation.
- Support SFI in the leveraging of funds from Horizon Europe.
- Assist in coordination national projects for Horizon Europe.
- Participate in meetings and committees as deemed necessary.
- A postgraduate qualification with a minimum of 4 years subsequent experience in a discipline relevant to CÚRAM’s research focus.
- Evidence of experience in managing and coordinating research funding submissions through national and international agencies is essential.
- Demonstrable record of strong project proposal writing experience and successful funding achievements.
- At least two years’ experience in relevant grant proposal coordination and management.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the suite of funding schemes in Horizon Europe.
- Accurate attention to detail with ability to working within tight deadlines.
- Excellent organisational, communications and analytical skills are essential.
- Flexibility and ability to work in a team environment are key skills required.
- Availability to travel nationally and internationally as required.
- A PhD in a discipline relevant to CÚRAM’s research focus.
- Experience of post-award grant management
- Experience in developing research career development plans
Salary: €38,631 - €50,031(public sector pay policy rules pertaining to new entrants will apply)
Start date: 1st July 2021
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway
For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie
For informal enquiries about this post please contact Professor Abhay Pandit Abhay.firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to include a covering letter, CV, and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in word or PDF only) to Dr Iain Shaw: email@example.com
Please put reference number NUIG RES 080-21 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00 pm on Friday 14th May 2021
Due to the University closure related to COVID-19, interviews may have to take place virtually and start dates may need to be delayed
NUI Galway reserve the right to readvertise or extend the closing date for this post.
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment.
National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.
EURAXESS offer ID: 632324
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.