RESEARCH FIELDEthics in health sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/03/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Leuven
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK38
A post-doctoral researcher will be hired on a bilateral Flanders(Belgium) - Canada project funded through the Research Foundation Flanders onthe ethical aspects related to the research use of crowdsourced medical datafor biomedical research. Smartphone applications for health are beingincreasingly used as a platform for collecting and sharing large volumes ofcrowdsourced personal health data for biomedical research and algorithmtraining. Consumer genetics products are similarly allowing individuals to havedirect access to their own genetic data and to share such data withresearchers. Using smartphone and genetic data in these ways presents numerousopportunities to expand biomedical knowledge, though it also raises certainrisks. Some of these include risks to personal privacy and risks associatedwith unclear ethical and legal obligations on the part of app developers andresearchers. In this project, we aim to mitigate these risks by determining howsmartphone applications and other mobile tools that collect health data work inpractice and by addressing legal, ethical, and regulatory uncertainty,comparing the situation as it exists in Canada and Belgium. We will use thisevidence to develop health policy guidelines that will enable smartphone datato be used safely, in a manner that protects users and the public. In doing so,we will assure that such data will contribute to improved health outcomes byexpanding biomedical knowledge and making health more effective and efficient.
We are offering a full time appointment (100%)as a post-doctoral researcher for a period of 2 years, within the Centre forBiomedical Ethics and Law (Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, KULeuven). The starting date can be negotiated.
- PhD in law, philosophy, bioethics, sociology, biomedical sciences, or arelevant other discipline
- An outstanding record of undergraduate and master's degree work;
- Highly motivated candidate with strong interest in the ethical andsocial aspects of biomedical innovations and a demonstrable interest theproject;
- Experience with empirical qualitative methods in the social and healthsciences (e.g., document analysis, interviews)
- Proven proficiency in English, both written and orally.
- Good publication record
- Strong writing and analytical skills;
- Good communication and organization skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Capacity to work both as an independent researcher and as part of ateam;
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary context;
- Willingness to participate in the global functioning of the researchcenter (e.g. in supervision, occasional teaching, project proposal writing)
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 608576
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.